Meal kits: Which one is best?
3/2/2023 by Tony Gagliardi
Meal kit delivery services have catchy names — with everything from home to fresh to aprons to carrots. But what does a meal kit delivery service have to offer? And is it right for you?
If you have ever struggled with deciding what to eat for dinner, a meal kit delivery service might be right for you. Meal kit delivery services can take the guesswork out of your busy day. The kits are partially prepped and portioned, with food ingredients and recipes that allow people to easily prepare home-cooked meals. The recipes tend to offer step-by-step instructions to guide the cook. For those who lack time to prepare food, some meal kit delivery services offer prepared meals that only require reheating.
Why use them?
- Saves time. Precut and portioned food items make cooking simple and fast. Everything you need for each meal is delivered direct to you. This sames time from grocery shopping.
- Reduces food waste. Fresh produce often gets thrown out. The kit's prepared ingredients reduce food waste in the kitchen.
- Complies with dietary needs. Some companies provide items for those looking to avoid allergens or other items not appropriate for you.
- Simplifies meal planning. Preselected meals take away the guesswork in the kitchen.
- Helps provide a balanced diet. Choosing meals that offer at least three food groups from MyPlate helps achieve a balanced diet. Select from various food groups to obtain nutrients for good health.
- Develop culinary skills. Cooking at home will improve your culinary skills. Even the novice chef can feel confident preparing healthy options.
- Customizable. Customize your meal items as you please to develop a delicious meal that meets health goals. For example, choose ground turkey over ground beef.
How to customize meal kits to achieve a healthy diet.
- Use MyPlate when selecting your meal. Choose at least three of the five food groups.
- Choose lean protein. Best choices include low-fat meats, low-fat dairy, beans, legumes, nuts and seeds.
- Choose a variety of colors. Colorful foods provide a wide variety of nutrients, including fiber, vitamins and minerals — all important for good health.
- Choose whole grains. Whole grains offer increased fiber.
Stop stressing about what you are going to have for dinner and try meal kit delivery services. Save time, eat healthier and enjoy delicious customizable dinners. To choose which meal kit delivery service is right for you, check out the Rochester/Midwest Meal and Ingredient Delivery Options and More brochure.
Tony Gagliardi is a Mayo Clinic dietetic intern. He earned his bachelor's degree in science dietetics at the University of Wisconsin.